Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Bushnell Solar Panel

The Bushnell Solar Wrap Mini is a fun gadget that I was really excited to get a chance to use. It is 3 ounces and only 4.3" when rolled up but it can hold enough juice to recharge your cell phone or MP3 player. You can pre-charge it at home so it is ready to go when you need it that first time, then you can deploy the solar panel and recharge it. (the dollar bill is for scale)

Fully unrolled the Solar Wrap Mini is 18.25" long and needs 80% sun to be able to work on charging.


The stats on the website say that it can wall charge in 4 hours and 10 hours via solar which from what I have seen is really close what I was getting. 



There is a USB port on one end...


and a micro USB port on the other end right next to the charge indicator light, red is charging green is ready. The handy thing is the cord that came with this had ends to fit both ports and many of my devices require the micro USB cable for charging.
I used this on a couple backpacking trips where I never did get enough sun to break out the solar panel but I was able to un my Ipod charged for three days strait 12 hours at a time on the charge I brought with me from home. One tester had better luck with sunlight on a hunting trip where he was able to recharge two Iphones each day and then while out hunting he would leave the panel out all day and have a full charge when he got back to camp.
 The only con I have on this product is that you don't want to use it on anything bigger than a cell phone, at least not for very long. I have used it to top off a Kindle but when I let the Kindle get down to 15% and leave it to charge overnight in the morning both devices were drained. If you are looking to charge larger devices check out the other, larger solar panels that Bushnell makes.
But if you need something to keep your cell phone or music player the Solar Wrap Mini is a great choice. It retails for $89.99 and it's worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment