Thursday, October 3, 2013

Sigg Wide Mouth Siggnature Water Bottle


Today I'll be talking about the Sigg Wide Mouth Siggnature water bottle. With more and more people carrying their own water bottles where ever they go instead of buying bottled water the market for personal water bottles has gotten much bigger. I picked up this bottle at the Outdoor Retailer Show in August and being a fan of Sigg bottles for fuel and water (not the same bottle for both) I was interested to see how well a hard sided bottle with more of a sport, water bottle style top would do.


The standard style water bottles that you would use for cycling require you to squeeze the bottle to get a good flow of liquid to come out which you can't really do with a metal bottle. The key to the Sigg bottle are the vents (which you can see in the above photo) that allow for air to get into the bottle while to drink so you can get a steady stream of liquid. The sport top as seen here is great for drinking from while walking or in a car, I am sure everyone reading this has been riding in a car while drinking from a wide mouth bottle of some sort, hit a bump and ended up getting wet.


Another good option is to unscrew the sport bottle top to reveal a smaller hole to drink from. I tend to use this more than the sport top when I use this bottle for everyday use. I also found that if you have a Sigg bottle that uses the smaller lids with the carabiner loop you can swap out the sport top for the other lid.

The wide mouth is great for getting in and cleaning the bottle but its not quite big enough to accept the stopper from my Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter. That is a small detail that I didn't realize till I was up in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness and went to filter water for the first time.
Other than that this is a great bottle and well worth the price ($18.29-20.99 on Amazon.com). If you want a bottle that can handle years of use Sigg is the way to go, I have one fuel bottle that is 30 years old and a flask that comes with me on all my trips that I have had 7 or 8 years and other than a few dents and scratches I expect to get another 30+ years out of both.

1 comment: