Sunday, November 24, 2013

Five Ten Maltese Falcons

I only knew Five Ten through their climbing shoes so I was excited to give the Maltese Falcons a try since cycling is probably my favorite outdoor activity. My first pair of clip less mountain bike shoes made me feel like I was taking the simple act of riding a bike to a new level for myself. Since then I have had several pairs for both mountain and road bikes and none of them have held up to the pair of Maltese Falcons.
First thing I did before I put the cleats on was wear the shoes for about a week back and forth to work and for riding. I never thought I could stand around for 8 hours in a pair of clip less bike shoes but these were really comfortable. Riding in them was great also, the Stealth rubber combined with the stiffness of the shoe meant that even if your foot wasn't square on the pedal you could get a decent pedal stroke until you could readjust. From there I put the cleats on and they performed even better. They felt very secure while riding, I have had some shoes that when clipped in you felt like your foot was going to slip out but NOT in the Maltese Falcons.
There was only one thing that I didn't like was that with the cleats on they do stick out past the bottom of the shoe a little bit making it tough to go right from the bike to work or to the store but at the same time you aren't walking as funny as you would be in most clip less shoes I have had.
From the Five Ten website "The new lightweight clip-in Maltese Falcon has a stiff-but-sensitive shank for balancing cranking power with comfort while hiking, and we've added a Velcro® drand ankle strap for extra support. An external heel counter boosts stability for technical maneuvers and long rides, and Stealth® ™ rubber."
Bottom line you can't go wrong with a pair of Maltese Falcons and I would recommend them to anyone.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanted to let you know that the story you promised to publish (but didn't) "Orienting Heaven" went on to win first place in the New Mexico Press Women's Assc. communication contest and then won the NATIONAL award at the National Federation of Press Women's conference. I'm tempted to say: "Hey, Dude, where's the $200 you offered." but the judge says, I should say "Thank you". Whatever. www.winterross.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete